December is usually a time for gathering with friends and neighbours at the local Christmas market and buying each other rounds of mulled wine to drink in the cold huddled around tall and tippy tables or walking between booths but with most of them cancelled this year we can skip the markets and just make it at home!
I’m giving you a version which in France is called “Vin Chaud Flambé” which means it has rum in it. While I always drank it this way, even in Canada, it does remind me of the Christmas market in Strasbourg and one stand which had dubbed it the “torche de noel” which I quite liked. I figure given the circumstances of this year, a little dose of rum might be well called for.
Hope you’ll get around to making some for you and your family/friends (if that’s allowed) and if you do be sure to follow and tag me on instagram @vineandtheolive so I can raise my glass with you! Santé!
(As always, drink responsibly)
Mulled wine with rum
- 2 Clementines (or Christmas Oranges)
- 12 cloves
- 3 pods green cardamom
- 5 whole allspice
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2-3 tbsp brown or cane sugar
- 4 shots spiced rum
- 1 bottle wine 750ml
- Quarter your clementines and pierce them with the 12 cloves and add to a medium-sized saucepan.
- Open up the cardamom pods and place in a tea infuser ball with the allspice if you have one or throw them directly into the pot followed by 2 sticks of cinnamon and the sugar and pour your bottle of wine over top.*Pick a wine that's not too expensive but that you'd still happily drink because bad wine is still bad wine even with spices. I generally recommend a young wine with ripe fruit flavours (think hot climate regions)
- Place the pot on a medium-low heat so it won't boil and just take your time and check after about a half-hour to see how the infusion is going. Once it's to your liking, remove the cinnamon sticks so it doesn't become too astringent with time and add your rum and squeeze the clementines just before serving. For those who prefer a lower alcohol content, you can easily put just two shots of rum in if it's more to your liking or omit it altogether!
- Pour into your favourite mugs and enjoy!