If there’s one thing that is quintessentially North American it’s the soft, chewy texture of cookies. While I was waiting for my flight in Montreal I stopped in at the duty free and bought a small roll of Toblerones and what better way to present them than in a cookie with some dark chocolate! Not only that but it allowed something tasty for the hour of “goûter” or more frequently in this house the apéritif!
Les Cookies Américain
Chewy Chocolate Cookies
Write a review
- 170g Dark Chocolate
- 50g Toblerone
- 115g Butter, Unsalted
- 150g Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 pkg Vanilla Sugar
- 140g Flour
- 1/2 tsp Levure Chimique (Baking Soda)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Heat the oven to 190°C or 375°F.
- Chop dark chocolate and Toblerone and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Once it's nice and light add the egg and combine before stirring in the vanilla sugar.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and just before it all comes together add the chocolate. Do not overmix.
- Form the dough into small rounds and place on the cookie sheet with room to spread out as they flatten in the oven.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The centres should still be gooey.
- Allow them to firm up a minute or two on the pan before attempting to move them to a cooling rack.
- I like small cookies but you could certainly make 12 larger ones that would likely be extra gooey.
- I tend only to cook about 4 cookies at a time since the oven is small and European but also because the more cookies are left on the counter, the more I'm likely to consume so any that I don't bake I pre-portion and place on parchment until they have set (so they don't freeze together) and then I throw them into a freezer bag or container until I'm ready to bake them. Place directly into a preheated oven for 9 or so minutes at your convenience!
- Note that you can also substitute 1 tsp vanilla extract for the vanilla sugar.
Vine and the Olive https://vineandtheolive.com/